This week’s table games news for the week ending July 23, 2021
Here is the news of board games (and related to board games!) That caught our attention for the week ending July 23, 2021.
- The winners of the Spiel des Jahres and Kennerspiel des Jahres awards were announced this week. Winner of the Spiel des Jahres 1983 Scotland Yard is the featured image of this week.
- Last week I mentioned Phantom Big G games. An update: the game is now available, exclusively at Target.
- We get a Soprano movie this year, and we’ll see a lot of related merchandise as well. The first such piece concerned our industry: Monopoly: The Sopranos of Op. The game is out now, but it’s unclear if in the end, instead of winning, you’re suddenly and inexplicably blacked out.
- Usually the news in this space is all about what’s new, but sometimes there’s news about older games too, and this week we can tell you that the award-winning stacking game of 2016 Dimension, which our own Dave Banks reviewed when the game released, is now available from Barnes & Noble.
- WizKids will bring Legacy soon at your table. The game pits the minions of a recently deceased supervillain against each other, each hoping to inherit the best doomsday weapon. The game mixes drafting, set collection and âI cut, you chooseâ mechanics. No release date has been announced.
- Games Workshop has a long history of offering exclusive miniatures for those attending in-person events. But with most of those events still pending, the company is now offering some of these exclusives for a limited time on their website.
- Overdrive, a new fantasy sport from Mantic in which players take on the role of coach of a team of great players, is now available for pre-order.
- Japanime released Tokyo Ghoul: Bloody Masquerade. The game pits players against each other as they take on the role of one of 15 characters from the anime of the same name.
- Arcade classic Space invaders makes the leap from the arcade to the table, thanks to an upcoming game from Kane Klenko. Scheduled to be released by Buffalo Games, the dexterity game makes players work together to defeat alien attackers. The game is slated for release next week at Target, with a wider release in early August.
- Publisher Exploding Kittens has announced two new games. First up is a sequel to the food-fight board game Throw Throw Burrito entitled Throw Throw Avocado. Similar to the original, the sequel has players throwing the titular fruit at each other. The second new version is Disaster Recipes, which brings together more than 100 of the best maps of the Exploding kittens expansions, as well as the addition of new game modes.
- Cubicle 7 has announced a new card game based on their Warhammer Fantasy RPG series. Count of voters is for 2 to 4 players and is available now for pre-order.
- Last message, a new game from Iello, is coming in October. It is a game in which players attempt to solve a crime based on the victim’s latest text message.
What we play
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads have been playing this week:
- Jonathan Liu played Verdant, The 7th Continent, Maglev Metro, Moonrakers, Fort: Cats & Dogs Expansion, Sabotage, The Specialists, Summer Camp, TEN, and Wok and Roll.
- Michael Pistiolas played Marvel champions Pandemic Legacy: Season 0, Cribbage, and Trails.
- Z. played Dungeons & Dragons: The Curse of Strahd.